Saturday, January 12, 2008

La Frite, Woodland Hills





I don't have that much experience with French food. I am, however, familiar with what escargot is. And after getting over the initial fear of eating a bug covered in garlic, it's actually not that bad. Really garlicy, and sorta chewy like a squid.

I had the Sunday night special, which was Swordfish and Salmon on a skewer, some veggies, and a really good pilaf. I usually don't like Salmon, but it was very well cooked, not too dry, and not too heavily seasoned. The Swordfish, (which I think was prepared slightly raw?) was so moist that it was like eating huge chunks of Spam. Ray ordered the mussels. We're not talking like 10-12 pieces..it was an entire pho-sized bowl of mussels in a tasty soup for less than $20. I will try that next time. The prices of the entrees in general are reasonable (Sunday night special was $18.50) and the portions are definitely not skimpy.

Save room for dessert! Like the few French restaurants that I've been to, the dessert selection at La Frite was plentiful, ranging from the typical carrot cakes to the liquor souffles (takes 20 mins to prepare.) I opted for the original Chocolate Souffle, which isn't quite as I remember, but still 100% better than any American dessert.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Ohh..so that's where you went. haha. I was wondering how you got around to snacking on Escargot.